Direct the Town Manager to carry out dust control with Durablend, cost not to exceed $14,500, on Town of Lake City unpaved roads immediately after spring road grading estimated to be in May.
The Town has spread a magnesium chloride compound called Durablend on as many direct roads as the budget allows for several years. This method seems to be a balance of the least expensive, most effective and least environmentally detrimental of the dust control methods. Staff recommends continuing with this method. The 2014 Budget allocates $14,500 toward this spring’s dust control efforts. I understand that the past practice has been to employ dust control on roads in a priority sequence within the budget which means some roads may not receive dust control improvements.
In past years, we have spent this much money on dust control:
2013 - $9,661
2012 - $16,950
2011 - $16,579
2010 - $16,766
2009 - $15,707
2008 – $16,380
2007 - $15,084
2006 - $10,092
2005 - $14,256
Please note that we have less budgeted than in all previous years except 2013, 2006 and 2005. Because costs have increased, we will most likely be able to do less with this budget than in previous years.
Dust Control 2014 Plan:
The following priority sequence has been employed in past years (see attached map):
1. Water Street 5th to Morningside Drive
2. Pine St. 6th to 9th
3. Hotchkiss St. 6th to Wastewater Treatment Plan
4. 9th St. Water to Hotchkiss St.
5. 8th St. Stub West of Water to just beyond Pine St.
6. Ocean Wave Hwy 149 to Black Bear
7. Henson St. – 1st to 8th
8. Gunnison Ave. – 8th to 9th
9. 2nd St. – Henson St. to Gunnison
10. Silver St. – 1st to 2nd
11. Silver St. – 7th to 8th St.
12. 8th St. – Alley between Gunnison to Silver to Bluff St.
13. Bluff St. – 5th to 8th St.
14. 4th St. – Silver to Bluff St.
15. 3rd St. – Henson to Gunnison
16. North side of Post Office
17. Henson Creek RV Park
18. 7th St. – Bluff to Henson
19. 6th St. – Bluff to Silver
20. 5th St. – Bluff to Gunnison
In addition, we have had requests from Dave Cherry and Ron Yates for additional areas to receive dust control covering the 500 block of Pine; 400 block of Pine and the length of Victorian Dr. (see attached emails)
We recommend adding the requests from Dave Cherry and Ron Yates to the low priority list and treating those streets if budget allows.